School has started. That can only mean one thing. Winter is on its way. In preparation for the cold weather, we would like to suggest the following checklist to make sure that you and your house are ready for the change of seasons.
- Monitor the falling leaves to make sure your gutters remain clear.
- If you fertilize your lawn, doing so now will help the grass through the winter.
- Make sure dryer vents, chimneys and other household vents are clear of debris and/or pests.
- Put away your garden hose and be sure to shut the water off inside and drain the pipe to prevent freezing.
- Make sure you check on your snow shovel and get a replacement before you need it.
- Buy a bag of rock salt or sand just in case there are icy mornings.
- Put the cover on your AC unit to keep it debris free for the winter.
- Make sure you know where the water shut-off is for the entire house in case of frozen pipes. (If you need a tag to mark the shut off, contact us.)
- Change the filter on your heater and have it serviced.
- Make sure there are no gaps for doors and windows. Install weather stripping if needed.
- Buy some extra soup or canned foods just in case.
Enjoy the change of seasons.