The typical workday involves carrying a number of bags whether it is a purse, gym bag, or briefcase. If you live in a city or walk for long distances with these bags, it’s important to properly carry them to prevent aches and injuries. Here are some helpful tips to ensure that you do:
- Pay attention to the load that you carry each day. Heavy loads can place a great deal of stress on your neck and back. Try to cut down on any junk/extra weight in your bag and carry less than 25 pounds in each bag. Every pound you carry adds on three pounds of pressure to your joints.
- Carry backpacks with both straps, not just one. If your bag only has one strap, cross it over your shoulders to minimize joint pressure.
- Distribute the weight of items in your bag evenly, and place heavy items at the bottom of the bag.
- Carry bags close to the body (this also minimizes pressure).
- If you use a rolling bag, try to find a bag that glides over bumpy surfaces with minimal struggle.